Saturday, October 11, 2014

Overnight Oats and 31 Week Update

I can't believe I'm 31 weeks today!  It's cooler here, but I know I'm in the home stretch because I've started crunching ice.  When I was pregnant with Silas I ate so much ice at the end.  It drove my supervisor crazy.  I made at least 2 trays of ice at work everyday and ate them.  A quick google search says this may be a sign of anemia.  I better thaw out some steaks to be on the safe side.  Anything for a steak.  

I wanted to share my overnight oats "recipe" with you guys.  I like to have this made and ready to go so I don't have to worry about breakfast in the morning.  The recipe is basic and very easy, with endless possibilities.  A quick google search will yield so many variations, you could try a new one everyday for a year probably.  I use old fashioned rolled oats, but any oats work, except maybe steel cut oats.  The special thing I've started doing is making these in mason jars.  I take about 6 jars, measure out the oats, maybe add some chia seeds, and then every couple nights add some fresh mix-ins, the milk and shake!  It makes our mornings that much easier. 

Basic Overnight Oats
1/2 cup Oats.
1/2 cup milk of your choice, any will work: almond, soy, rice, cow, goat, emu.  Sometimes I use water if I'm adding yogurt.  We don't drink juice, but I bet you could use it.  Apple juice and cinnamon?  Yummy.

That's the basic formula, stir or shake, cover and refrigerate.

Add Ins
Fruit, frozen or fresh.
Pumpkin!
Yogurt, we like Greek.
Protein powder, you'd have to experiment with the amount of liquid if you added protein powder.  I've tried chocolate protein with peanut butter.  That is a breakfast with staying power.
Chia seeds, about a tablespoon will do, be sure to add extra liquid, chia seeds can absorb 10 times their weight in water!
Nuts or nut butter.
Sweetener if you want.  I like maple syrup, but someone ate it all (it was me).

Here's some pictures of the two I threw together tonight for tomorrow.


 This is 1/2 cup oats with frozen mixed berries for the Mr. and about 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice for Silas and I. 


 Adding the milk, soy milk for the Mr. and whole milk us.

 All shook up!  Ready to soak in all that goodness.  You can microwave these for a nice hot breakfast or eat them cold.

Let's make the 31 week update quick!  The list is getting redundant.  The baby is now approximately 16 inches long and 3.3 pounds, about the size of a romaine lettuce.  I have put on more weight than I care to mention, I'm still having a boy, the nursery has barely been worked on,  he's kicking the bejesus out of me, I have heart burn and I'm out of my preferred brand of antacid (Walgreens brand, Tums style, tropical fruit flavored; this is very important), craving ice, missing wine, and looking forward to Halloween! 



6 comments:

  1. I could never get into oats, they are too gritty for be but a great idea for a morning snack! I can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love oats! They're so good for you too! But you're not the first person to say they don't like them so I understand.

      Delete
  2. Good Sunday morning ! What a grand day. Baby looks so precious at his friends birthday. The oats in the jar are a grand idea for anyone . Lots of possibilities. I enjoy your up dates every week. Thanks bunches. I enjoy the pictures of your finished items too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! Oats in a jar are tasty. I have to make more today.

      Delete
  3. Hown was that pumpkin breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pumpkin is my favorite. With a little brown sugar if you feel like it!! And Silas gobbles it up!

      Delete