Wednesday, September 24, 2014

It's fall!

The first day of fall was yesterday.  And it's starting to feel like it.  When we walk around the neighborhood the trees are just beginning to change colors.  There's one maple in the neighborhood that is still green, but in 2 spots it has bright red leaves.  It's gorgeous.  It's been in the 70's lately which is much easier to tolerate.  I've been able to turn my oven on again and I love that. 

We went to the gym today for the first time this week.  I mentioned before I'm starting over with the program in The New Rules of Lifting for Women.  Right now the workouts are calling for 2 sets of 15 reps and that's pretty good for me.  I'm not sure how I'm going to modify as this first part goes along.  It gradually bumps up to more sets, heavier weights, and fewer reps.  I won't be doing that, so I think I'll just wing it. 

I'm having a hard time coming up with meals and snacks everyday for Silas.  I want to give him a nice variety of good food but sometimes I can't think about it.  I do try to feed him what I'm eating so I don't have to make 2 separate things every time we eat, but you never know what they will like and eat.  He won't eat cheese anymore (who's kid is this?).  I made these chicken and egg muffins and he couldn't get enough, for a couple days.  He will almost always eat sweet potatoes and bread.  (There I am).  I make eggs almost every morning and he usually eats those.  I've started making both of us huge green smoothies everyday with a TON of spinach and he drinks that down happily.  We usually have oatmeal, chia seed pudding and yogurt in rotation.  I still feel like I could be doing better.  So, I've been trying to get us all to eat more vegetables.  We grew butternut squash in our garden this year and that's been tasty and easy to prepare.  And today I made roasted golden beets and carrots for dinner.  Silas ate both.  I cut up the carrots and peeled and cut the beets into half moons, tossed with a little olive oil and salt and roasted them at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, flipped them over and roasted for another 15 minutes.  I love roasted vegetables.  Almost any vegetable is good roasted.  Sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, even cabbage.  Look how beautiful the beets are! 


What kind of foods does your kiddo love?  What won't they eat?  Silas has never been crazy about bananas!  What kid doesn't like bananas? 

5 comments:

  1. Haley LOVES bananas, has one every morning for breakfast. She won't eat Turkey or beef deli meat, she hates brussel sprouts, her face when I gave it to her LOL. She eats what I make for dinner most nights unless it's something spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! Silas has had a brussel sprout once. On his plate, I mean. I don't think he touched it. I tried to give him a spinach leaf today, that was met with a big "NO!!" Kinda cute.

      Delete
  2. What they love right now, they will rebuke in 5 min, then come back begging for more! I would love to hear more about your smoothies, trying to get us on that wagon and break in the vitamixer hubby surprised me with last year. Those roasted veggies look delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a Vitamix so bad! I've made Aaron watch the "commercials" when they sell them on QVC. He's not sold and they're pretty expensive. His sister has one though and she said she uses hers everyday. She told me her blade got recalled and she had the hardest time sending it in for the replacement because she didn't want to be without her Vitamix. Hahaha.

      Delete
    2. I might do a post for you about the smoothies, otherwise next time I see you I'll just explain my method. ;)

      Delete